Posted on February 02 2016
On the weekend, Rant headquarters was featured in the local Qweekend magazine!
Sarah and Jason's house won the 2015 Sustainability Building Awards by Architecture and Design in Single Dwelling (for alterations & additions) with the renovations designed by their architect friend Julie Borgelt. The upstairs is a combined living and office space and downstairs is our Rant studio. The house was renovated to create a sustainable and efficient living and work space, allowing Sarah and Jason's strong ethics in sustainability to carry through to their home life.
The use of a home work studio is sustainable in itself. It is an efficient use of space and significantly reduces Rant's carbon footprint, as leasing and buying an extra business space is not required. The open plan living space upstairs is often used for indoor photo shoots. All sewers live within a 30 km radius of the house thus further reducing travel time of garments and ensuring maximum quality control.
All resources used in the renovation were sourced from local Brisbane suppliers. I've highlighted some key initiatives from the renovation:
- Solar power is used throughout the house
- Rainwater is collected and used for home and business use
- Salvaged hardwood floor joists from the demolition of the army barracks by the architect and used for the kitchen/dining bench
- Plantation timbers/Ply joinery and panels from local Brisbane company, Sharp Plywood
- Recycled timber beams and posts (FSC certified) by Brisbane local The Red Shed, Darra
- Sliding stacking windows and external bifold Louvre shutters are used throughout
- Energy saving LED lights throughout
- 6 star energy rated machinery for the washing of all garments
If you would like to read more about this amazing renovation click here.
Behind the Scenes o...
Summer arrived in Brisbane on Saturday when we had our photo shoot for the RANT summer collection, Diverge. The summer styles were certainly tested...Read More
Australian made Sup...
Australian Made Featherweight tops We have used Superfine cotton jersey fabric for a decade now. People come back year after year to build on their...Read More
'Hyper Local' produ...
At last I can reveal our latest edition upmarket tracksuit pants. The Parallel pants are awesome utilising a new organic cotton stretch fabric that...Read More